2017 Law Firm Leadership Program
A seven-session CLE program.
18 MBCLE credits applied for this program (including 3.75 Elimination of Bias & 1.00 Ethics credits).
The HCBA is excited to present this innovative and transformative seven-session training program that will help you achieve the next leadership level in your legal career.
The Hennepin County Bar Association Law Firm Leadership Program is designed to be the most comprehensive program of its kind offered in the region. Built specifically for lawyers by lawyers, it prepares participants to lead in a time of great change within the legal profession.
The series will equip participants with the skills, knowledge, and broader context needed to succeed in leading practice groups, heading committees, and serving in other key firm leadership roles.
Ideal for attorneys from any size firm—small, mid-sized or large interested in developing their abilities to be effective and visionary law firm leaders today and in the future.
Topics to be covered:
- Effective leadership styles and shaping your personal development plan.
- Challenges and demands of leading lawyers (Being first among equals).
- Fundamentals for law firm management: From crafting a leading vision to
understanding the day-to-day functions.
- The nitty-gritty details of balance sheets, and creating and implementing
- Client development and compensation models.
- Attracting, cultivating, and keeping legal talent.
- Employment law essentials every leader should know.
- The significance of firm culture and cohesion to the bottom line of the
business, and making alterations to an evolving culture.
- Creating a culture of inclusion that respects and maximizes each attorney’s
individual talents, improves retention, professional development, and the
sponsorship of diverse talent.
- Addressing implicit bias and understanding the processes and cultural
norms that derail inclusion.
- Understanding and enhancing emotional intelligence: the concepts,
triggers, tools and techniques for improving competence.
- Maintaining intentionality under pressure.
- Navigating difficult conversations.
- Exploration of the common conflicts that occur in legal practice, talent
development, retention, and law firm management. Learn to anticipate and
work through conflicts as they arise.
- How to prioritize; knowing when to pivot priorities.
- The future of the legal profession: Where are we now, where are we headed?
How to prepare for change.
- Mergers, reorganizations, succession, and leading firms in the years ahead.
- PLUS, all participants will receive individual assessments on their
Payment does not need to accompany registration. To be invoiced for the program, please call 612-752-6600 to register.
PROGRAM SCHEDULE: The program includes 7 sessions. Sessions take place every other Wednesday afternoon, between February 22 and May 17. The first six sessions run from 12:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. at the HCBA office. The seventh session runs from 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. at the HCBA office with a social event following.
Session 1: February 22
Session 2: March 08
Session 3: March 22
Session 4: April 5
Session 5: April 19
Session 6: May 3
Session 7: May 17
Manager of Business Development, Merchant & Gould
Managing Partner, Yost & Baill LLP
Partner, Greene Espel PLLP
Principal Legal Counsel, Medtronic Inc.
Shareholder, Fredrikson & Byron, P.A.
Lawyer and Law Firm Coach and Advisor
CEO and Managing Partner, JUX Law Firm.
Executive Coach and Mental Health Practitioner at Relate Counseling Center
J.D. President and CEO, Critical Measures LLC
Consultant, Department Chair, Organization Learning and Development, University of St. Thomas
Former Chief Justice, Minnesota Supreme Court, Partner, Robins Kaplan LLP
President - The Marron Alliance, Attorney, Certified Executive Coach
Heidi Neff Christianson
Shareholder and Chair, Nilan Johnson Lewis PA
Stephen M. (Pete) Peterson
Managing Director of the Law Firm Business Institute
Associate, Fredrikson & Byron, P.A.
Executive Director, Briggs and Morgan, P.A.
Labor & Employment Attorney, Nilan Johnson Lewis PA
Counsel, Briol & Benson P.L.L.C.
*Speakers and credits may be subject to change.
*Cancellations must be received 7 days prior to the event in order to be eligible for a refund. The cost of materials will be deducted from total amount of the the refund. Those registering for an event fewer than 7 days prior to the event will be ineligible for a refund.