NEWS RELEASE: July 1, 2014
Minneapolis: -- The Hennepin County Bar Foundation closed its 2013-14 fiscal year with a celebrative air for its record-breaking year under the direction of outgoing President Jonathan A. Strauss. The foundation provided a record amount in grant awards by finalizing over $123,000 in regular grants to 21 local law-related agencies and projects. During the year the board also distributed an additional $100,000 in special grants—specifically focused on women’s concerns—made possible by cy pres funding.
A listing of regular cycle grant recipients and the special grants announced earlier in the year is included below. These agencies and law-related programs help further the foundation’s mission: Promoting equal access to justice for the people of Hennepin County.
At the close of its annual meeting, Strauss passed the leadership mantel to Girard Miller (Stinson Leonard Street), and Miller in turn presented a plaque of recognition to Strauss for his year of presidential leadership. In addition, the annual meeting looked forward by electing new board members and officers, presented awards for service, and committed to a new approach to future grant making.
Other officers for the coming year include: Vice-President Sharna A. Wahlgren; Secretary Katherine Bruce (U.S. District Court – District of Minnesota); and Treasurer Kati Mohammad-Zadeh (University of Minnesota Law School). Jonathan Strauss (Sapientia Law Group) remains an officer as the immediate past president.
The Hennepin Country Bar Foundation is the charitable arm of the Hennepin County Bar Association. Funds for annual grants come from individual member attorneys and through two key fund-raising events: the annual Bar Benefit held in March and a Charity Golf Classic held in August. Under Strauss’ leadership, record sums were
2013-2014 Grants by the Hennepin County Bar Foundation
Regular cycle grant recipients: Total of $123,000
- Battered Women’s Legal Advocacy Project
- Children’s Law Center of Minnesota
- Civil Society
- Council on Americans-Islamic Relations, Minnesota (CAIR-MN)
- Division of Indian Work
- HCBA Lawyer Referral & Information Service (LRIS) Language Line
- Lawyers Concerned for Lawyers
- Legal Rights Center
- Loan Repayment Assistance Program of Minnesota
- Minnesota Assistance Council for Veterans
- Minnesota Council on Crime and Justice
- Neighborhood Involvement Program
- Peace and Hope International (PHI)
- RESOURCE, Inc.
- Restorative Justice Community Action
- Seward Longfellow Restorative Justice Partnership
- Somali Benadiri
- The Family Partnership
- Volunteer Lawyers Network
Cy prez-funded grants designated to improve the lives of women in Hennepin County
Total of $100,000.
- Breaking Free, Inc.
- Cornerstone Advocacy Service
- Minnesota Coalition for Battered Women
# # # # #