NEWS RELEASE: September 22, 2014
Minneapolis: -- Two separate plebiscites of attorneys were held this month regarding candidates for judicial seats in the November election. The Minnesota State Bar Association (MSBA) focused on statewide (appellate court) judicial races and the Hennepin County Bar Association (HCBA) polled attorneys on the contested seats for the Hennepin County District Court.
The MSBA poll was conducted between September 2 and September 16, 2014. 2,036 MSBA members, selected as most likely to practice in front of the appellate courts and knowledgeable about the candidates, were invited to participate in the poll and close to 40% responded.
All 8,000 attorney members of the HCBA were polled regarding the four contested district court races. The HCBA poll was conducted between September 9 and September 19, 2014; nearly 1,500 members voted, just under 20%.
The purpose of the polls is to collect and make available to the general electorate information, in conjunction with voter guides, candidate questionnaires, news articles, etc., made available by other sources relative to contested judicial elections, which the general electorate may consider when deciding whom they wish to vote for in November. The online polls were voluntary and conducted in a neutral, unbiased, and confidential manner. The results of the polls do not constitute an endorsement of any candidate by the MSBA or the HCBA.
MSBA Plebiscite Results
Contact: Nancy Mischel, 612-278-6331
Supreme Court (contested races):
For more information on the Supreme Court candidates, visit www.mnjudges.org.
• Wilhelmina "Mimi” Wright, Supreme Court justice since 2004, 96.93% (759 votes) of the 783 total votes;
• John Hancock, 3.07% (24 votes).
• David L. Lillehaug, Supreme Court justice since 2010, 93.44% (741 votes) of the 793 total votes;
• Michelle MacDonald, 6.56% (52 votes).
HCBA Plebiscite Results
Contact: Duane Stanley, 612-752-6611
Hennepin County District Court (contested races):
For more information on the Hennepin County District Court candidates, visit http://www.hcba.org/?page=JudicialElections.
• Judge James Moore, 85.38% (1,034 votes) of the 1211 total votes;
• Bruce Michael Rivers, 14.62% (177 votes).
• Paul Scoggin, 64.13% (851 votes) of the 1327 total votes;
• Bridget Ann Sullivan, 35.87% (476 votes).
• Bev Benson, 58.60% (630 votes) of the 1075 total votes;
• Chris Ritts, 41.40% (445 votes).
• Beverly J. Aho, 46.84% (533 votes) of the 1138 total votes;
• Amy Dawson, 53.16% (605 votes).
# # # # #