Effective Advocate Trial Skills Course: A Seven-session CLE Program
7 Sessions: January 9*, January 16, January 30, February 13, February 27, March 13, March 23
4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. for sessions 2-6.
Hennepin County Government Center
300 South 6th St
C1353 and C1359
Minneapolis, Minnesota 55487
Matthew R. Veenstra
Effective Advocate Trial Skills Course
A Seven-session CLE Program.
The Civil Litigation Section invites lawyers interested in building trial advocacy skills to take part in the Effective Advocate Trial Skills Course. The course is 100% active participation in building and practicing core trial skills such as direct examination, cross-examination, and opening/closing arguments.
The course is presented as a NITA-style practicum, requiring participation in five two-hour sessions every other Wednesday beginning January 16, 2019, capped off by a half-day trial on Saturday, March 23rd. To help participants get the most from the program, there will be an optional orientation program held at the HCBA on Wednesday, January 9 from 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
HCBA members can participate for only $95 (compared to $3000 for similar NITA courses). Space is limited. It is very important for the success of the course that those who take the available spots commit to attending all of the sessions.
Faculty will be sitting judges and experienced trial attorneys. The course is designed to get the benefit of live skill practice with self-review and constructive feedback from experienced professionals while minimizing the required investment of time and cost.
The 5 sessions are scheduled for every other Wednesday beginning February 21: 2/21, 3/7, 3/21, 4/4, and 4/18. Sessions will be held at the Hennepin County courthouse from 4:30 to 6/6:30. In addition, there will be a one-hour overview that will introduce the structure of the lessons and provide an overview of the case facts. I’m planning to schedule this over a lunch hour based on the availability of the participants who want to attend. It is not essential but will make things easier by short cutting the prep required for the actual sessions.
There will be a trial at the end of the course, that we will schedule at the first session based on participant feedback and availability.
11.5 Standard MBCLE credit applied for.
- Wednesday, January 9th, 12:00 p.m. 1:00 p.m. at the HCBA – Optional Orientation
- Wednesday, January 16th, 4:30 p.m. - 6:30 p.m. at the Hennepin County Government Center – Session 1
- Wednesday, January 30th, 4:30 p.m. - 6:30 p.m. at the Hennepin County Government Center– Session 2
- Wednesday, February 13th, 4:30 p.m. - 6:30 p.m. at the Hennepin County Government Center– Session 3
- Wednesday, February 27th, 4:30 p.m. - 6:30 p.m. at the Hennepin County Government Center– Session 4
- Wednesday March 13th, 4:30 p.m. - 6:30 p.m. at the Hennepin County Government Center– Session 5
- Saturday, March 23rd, 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. at the Mitchell Hamline School of Law – Final Mock Trial
Cost: $95.00 HCBA members / $195.00 for non-members
*Speakers and credits may be subject to change.
*Cancellations must be received 7 days prior to the event in order to be eligible for a refund. The cost of materials will be deducted from total amount of the refund. Those registering for an event fewer than 7 days prior to the event will be ineligible for a refund.